Nobody really enjoys the headaches, sniffles and nose blockage which is caused as a result of allergies, flu or cold, although almost everyone suffices from these annoying symptoms a number of times in his life. Most people think that the main cause for congestion in the sinuses is over production of the mucus; however the fact is that it's caused because of swelling in the nasal membranes. Due to this the mucus which drains from the sinus cavities does not get a passageway, making it to remain clogged up there till the swelling subsides. However, the process takes many days and sometimes weeks and can cause several other problems as well. Fortunately there are various home remedies to get sinus relief. Some of these remedies make use of spicy and pungent spices while others need physical manipulation on the nasal region. Discussed below are some of the best home remedies that can help you to effectively fight off nasal congestion.
* Drinking plenty of water all through the day can keep your body hydrated and your nasal passes moist. This further helps in thinning the mucus so that it can be easily drained.
* Intake of hot liquids like soups, tea, coffee and broths is also very effective in alleviating nasal congestion, preventing dehydration and soothing the inflated membranes.
* Consuming red pepper and black pepper helps to dilute the blood vessels in the nose as well as stimulates the mucus secretion.
* A diet containing too much of carbohydrates is also one of the causes for nasal congestion. So, avoid eating foods containing a lot of carbohydrates. Instead, eat whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables.
* Take a small sterilized container and add some boiling water and salt to it. Take some of its drops and squirt into your nose with the use of an eyedropper. After this wait till the water reaches your throat and then promptly blow out the mucus from your nose.
* Put cardamom seeds (one-two teaspoons) on hot coal. Inhaling the smoke which arises from the coal can work wonders to treat nasal congestion.
* Take one cup of lukewarm water and put some drops of the grape seed extracts into it. Performing nasal rinse with this solution at least three times on a day, particularly before sleeping at night and after waking up in the morning can show significant improvement in your condition.
* Pour some drops of eucalyptus and peppermint oil on a cotton ball or a handkerchief and place near your nostrils, then breath in deeply to boost up the airflow inside your nose. This is an extremely simple, easy yet highly effective sinus home remedy.
You can follow all the above discussed natural remedies to get relieved of the discomfort called nasal congestion.