Nobody enjoys the sniffles and nasal congestion that is caused due to flu, cold, or allergies, though most of us suffer from it multiple times in our lives. Most of us think that nasal congestion is caused due to over-production of mucus, but the truth is that it is caused due to swelling of nasal membranes.
The mucus that drains from our sinus cavities does not find a passageway and hence, gets backed up till swelling subsides and allows the mucus to drain. All of us know that this process takes several days and can lead to various other problems. The good news is that a number of natural cures for nasal congestion are available that can help you get relief to a great extent.
Few home remedies are centered on making environmental changes whereas others involve the use of pungent and spicy foods. There are even more remedies that require physical manipulation of nasal region to get relief, such as using moist and hot compresses.
Natural Remedies for Treating Nasal Congestion
- Drinking hot liquids such as soups, tea, or coffee is quite effective in relieving nasal congestion, soothing inflamed membranes and preventing dehydration.
- For the treatment of nasal congestion, add two inches apple cider vinegar inside a pan and start heating it. Inhale the vapor when steam begins to rise.
- Put 1-2 teaspoons of cardamom seeds over hot coal and inhale the smoke that arises from it. This is one of the best natural cures for nasal congestion.
- Add some salt to boiling water and pour it inside a sterilized container. After it becomes warm, put a few drops of this solution inside the nose using an eyedropper. Wait till you feel this water reach your throat, after which you should blow your nose.
- Perform nasal rise by adding few drops of grapeseed extracts in half cup of hot water and inhale it, at least 2-3 times a day, especially before going to bed and after getting up in morning.
- Make a mixture of te teaspoon of baking soda and te teaspoon salt with 8 ounce of water and squirt it inside the nose using a nasal dropper. Repeat at least thrice before treating the other nostril.
- Black pepper and red pepper helps in dilating blood vessels present inside the nose and stimulates the secret which promotes drainage of the sinuses.
- Place few drops of peppermint or eucalyptus essential oil on a handkerchief or cotton ball and hold near your nose, then breathe greatly to increase airflow inside the nose.
- Prepare a mixture by adding a cup of tomato juice, a teaspoon of fresh chopped garlic, te teaspoon hot sauce, 1 teaspoon lime juice, and a little celery. Boil all ingredients together for some time and drink it hot. This works as one of the most wonderful natural cures for nasal congestion.
- A diet rich in too much carbohydrates leads to asthma and nasal congestion. Consume less carbohydrates and sugar, and instead go for vegetables, fish, and whole grains.
- Drink lots of fluids in the form of water, tea, carbonated drinks or fruit juices. Also, take lots of rest to recover as soon as possible.
Follow the above mentioned natural cures for nasal congestion to avoid the discomfort associated with this problem.