Anaphylaxis is a chronic, potentially life threatening allergic reaction. The condition can occur seconds or minutes after you have been exposed to something you are allergic to, like venom from an insect sting or peanuts. The large quantities of chemicals released by the immune system can cause shock: the blood pressure drops while the airways narrow, curtailing normal breathing. The symptoms of anaphylaxis include weakness, rapid pulse, nausea, vomiting and a skin rash. The main triggers of the condition include some medication, latex, insect venom and foods. The anaphylactic shock treatment involves:
1. Emergency treatment
Call your emergency hot line in your location. Check the individual's airway, breathing and circulation. The signs of a serious throat swapping are course sounds, a whispered or very hoarse voice when breathing. If necessary, perform rescue breathing and calm the person. If the reaction is from an insect sting, scrape off the stinger from the skin using something firm like a plastic credit card or fingernail. Avoid using tweezers. Squeezing the stinger can release more venom.
Furthermore, if the person uses allergy medicines, you can help the person inject or take the medication. If the person is experiencing difficulty breathing, avoid oral medication. You can also take steps to prevent shock. Get the person lying flat on his / her back, raise the feet 12 inches up and cover him / her using a blanket or coat. However, avoid this position if you suspect discomfort, a head, back, neck or leg injury.
2. Immediate trip to the doctor
If anaphylaxis is not treated immediately, patience can become unconscious or die. The condition calls for an immediate admission to the emergency unit to manage this life threatening condition particularly when a patient experiences a severe attack. The condition can stop breathing and stop the heartbeat. Therefore, the patient will require cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR). In addition, they will be given medications, such as epinephrine, a beta-agonist, oxygen, cortisone and intravenous (IV) antihistamines.
3. Tests and diagnosis
The doctor will need to diagnose the condition by asking about any allergic reactions you have had. He / she will seek to find out if there are any foods that cause reactions; any medication that produce some symptoms; any allergic symptoms when the skin is exposed to latex; or any symptoms associated with any insect sting. To confirm the diagnosis, the doctor will test you for allergies using blood tests or skin tests. He / she may ask you to keep a list of your foods or to temporarily eat eating certain foods. The test will help the doctor to rule out other health conditions responsible for your symptoms including heart / lung problems, psychological issues (ie panic attacks), mastocytosis and seizure disorders.
4. Long-term treatment
The doctor will advise you to avoid all the known allergy triggers. If the reactions are triggered by insect stings, the doctor may recommend several allergy shots (immunotherapy). This helps to reduce the body's allergic reaction and prevent future severe reactions. The doctor may also recommend prednisone or antihistamines.