Sinus can be quite a debilitating infection as it affects areas of the head that cause extreme pain and dizziness. When you are sick and having trouble breathing, you often just do not have the energy or strength to go to the store looking for a special remedy for your sinuses. That is why it is good to know some home treatments for sinus infections that utilize things you already have lying around your house.
In fact, if you do suffer sinus on a reasonably regular basis it would pay to have some of these treatment options available at all times, especially if you have responsibilities like small children that you have to attend during during the day and night.
Below are five home remedies that will help you clear your congestion quickly so you can breathe easily again.
1. Use steam to clear away your sinus problems. One of the best home treatments for sinus infections is to heat water to a boil in a pot, then turn off the heat, drape a towel over your head, and place your head directly above the pot to breathe in the steam. You can also get the same effect by just taking a long, hot shower. This helps ease the pain of sinus congestion and drains your sinuses at the same time.
If your sinuses bother you when you are sleeping, you may want to consider buying a humidifier for your room. This machine produces steam without a stove, so you can breathe in the moist air even while you are sleeping.
2. Try extremes in temperature . The use of a heating pad or hot pack can relieve the pain of sinus congestion at least temporarily, and can sometimes completely relieve sinus headaches.
Heat helps relax muscles and loosen sinus congestion, but it does not relieve inflammation. For that you will need exactly the opposite: a cold compress. You can make one by dipping a rag in a solution of two cups of very cold water and one tablespoon of Epsom salt and baking soda, or you can just use an ice pack.
3. Horseradish. This is probably one of the stranger home treatments for sinus infections you will find, but it is very effective. You can either inhale some freshly grated horseradish or drink a mixture of te teaspoon of horseradish and a a teaspoon of lemon juice an hour before breakfast and dinner. This fiery remedy is sure to thin your mucus and clear out your sinuses.
4. Tomato soup. If you do not think you can tolerate horseradish twice a day, try this recipe:
2 cups tomato juice
2-3 cloves of crushed garlic
2 tablespoons lemon juice
Mix all these ingredients together and heat to a simmer. Breathe in the steam from your tomato soup as you sip it slowly, reheating the mixture when necessary. Add as much hot sauce as you can stand for an added benefit.
5. Exercise your way to clear sinuses . You have probably heard that regular exercise can help boost your immune system, but it can also promote sinus drainage. Going out for a run may be the last thing you want to do when you are feeling miserable, but it can really help.
If you really can not work yourself up to go on a run, at least go for a long walk. Anything that gets your blood flowing will help you clear out your sinuses.
These five home treatments for sinus infections are guaranteed to help you at least temporarily get over your headaches and congestion without taking any special medication. Next time your sins are acting up, try one of these easy remedies and you will be feeling better in no time.